*List Updated Feb. 21, 2013
The average newborn baby weighs 7.5 pounds, but some weigh as little as 5.5 pounds or as much as 10 pounds. Most babies will fall in this range. As a first-time mom, I decided to wait and start my son in cloth diapers full-time when he was almost three months. I thought that dealing with cloth diapers for the first time and a brand new baby would be too much for me to handle. Since using cloth diapers has turned out much easier than I expected, next time, I plan to cloth diaper from birth.
Many one-size diapers are intended to fit 8 or 10 pounds and up. TheÂ Rumparooz One Size Pocket DiaperÂ is designed to fit 6 lbs. all the way up to 35 lbs.Â One-size diapers are a great money saver since the same diaper can be used on most babies from birth to potty training. However, for some newborns or preemies, one-size diapers are just not small enough.
Below is an alphabetical list of cloth diapers (with approximate weight ranges) made specifically for preemies or newborns. Click on the highlighted items to see information on that product or where you can purchase it. If I haven’t linked the item to a Web site, do a simple online search, and you should find a seller. Some links are affiliate links.
- Blueberry Mini Deluxe Diaper(6-16 lbs.)
- Blueberry Newborn Fitted (6-15 lbs.)
- Booty Buns Pocket Diapers (3-45 lbs.)
- BumGenius Newborn AIO (6-12 lbs.)
- Charlie Banana 2-in-1 Newborn Diaper
- EcoPosh Recycled Organic Newborn Fitted (5-14 lbs.)
- FuzziBunz X-Small Perfect Size Pocket (4-12 lbs.)
- GroVia Organic Newborn AIO (5-12+ lbs.)
- GroVia Stay Dry Newborn AIO (5-12+ lbs.)
- Happy Heinys Micro Mini Preemie AIO (Stage 1: 1-3 lbs.; Stage 2: 2-4 lbs.; Stage 3: 3-6 lbs.)
- Imse Vimse Organic Terry Contour Newborn Diapers with Snaps(4-17 lbs.)
- Kissaluv’s newborn/small Organic Cotton/Hemp Fitted (5-15 lbs.)
- Kissaluv’s Size 0 Colored Fitted 2.0 (5-15 lbs.)
- Kushies XP AIO Size Small (6-14 lbs.)
- Lil Joey Rumparooz Preemie-Newborn All In One (4-12 lbs.)
- SoftBumsÂ diapers have adjustable leg elastic allowing them to fit legs 4″ to 14″.
- Swaddlebees Mini Nappi(newborn-15 lbs.)
- Swaddlebees Newborn Simplex (6-16 lbs.)
- Tot Bots Tini Fit (5-14 lbs.)
Since newborns go through 10-12 diaper changes a day, the most economical cloth diaper option is to purchase a couple dozen prefolds and four or five diaper covers (if you’re washing every other day). Most likely, this will be what I do with our next child.
- BabyKicks Prefold Diapers(X-Small: Preemie-9 lbs.;Â Small: 7-13 lbs.)
- Bummis Original Wrap Newborn (4-8 lbs.)
- Bummis Super Lite Diaper Cover Newborn(6-10 lbs.)
- Bummis Super Snap Cover Newborn(7-10 lbs.)
- Cloth-eez Preemie Size Prefolds (9″ x 11″ when fully shrunk)
- Cotton Babies Indian Prefolds (Preemie 4-8 lbs.)(Infant 7-15 lbs.)
- Imse Vimse Bumpy Wool Diaper Cover NewbornÂ (7-13 lbs.)
- Litewrap Diaper Cover (Preemie 4-8 lbs.)(Newborn 7-10 lbs.)
- Prorap Classic Diaper Cover Newborn(Preemie 2-6 lbs.) (Newborn 6-10 lbs.)
- Real Nappies Cloth Diapers Newborn SizeÂ (5-13 lbs.)
- Rumparooz Newborn/Preemie Cover (4-12 lbs.)
Are you expecting a little one and not sure how big he or she will be? Many stores like Diaper Junction offer a 30-day trial, and you can return the diapers for a refund!
Did I miss any preemie or newborn diapers? Did you cloth diaper your preemie or newborn? Comments? Questions?
Note: Affiliate links present.